Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I'm out to prove you wrong

"The new generation of players has no respect for the game." "They don't know or care about the history." "All of them want something for nothing"

The typical gripes and comments regarding the "new school" players from the guys that have been in the sport the longest. And I have to agree with them, well mostly agree with them. The majority of new tournament, divisional players don't know the history of the game, and some don't care. Some get mommy and daddy buy them the new, four figure, "hot gun" on the market. They get the new gear every year at Cup, or online. And they do this when they could perfectly well work for it and pay for it themselves.

I'm not talking about the kid who gets this as birthday present, or the kid who helped his parents out at home and did chores. I'm talking about the spoiled kids.

There is a small group of new players that do care, that work for their gear and paint. These are the guys who will work, reffing for a day for a case of paint to use tomorrow at practice. The players that save all year for enough money to buy a used gun from 2 years ago.

I like to believe that I'm with the latter group. I work at a local field so I can play paintball. When I first started playing, before I was old enough to get a job, my parents paid for me to play. I had to do chores around the house, keep my grades up, the usual deal. But, right when I was old enough to start working, I did. I started out reffing at the local field for a case of paint every day. As time passed I was soon getting store credit, allowing me to get most of the pieces and parts I needed, barrels, tanks, hoppers, a gear bag. Finally I worked my way up to getting an actual paycheck. Granted it was minimum wage, but it was all I needed. I worked 8 hours a day, as much as I legally could. I got a savings account, and I saved every dime I could. I was finally able to get the expensive, top of the line, most technically advanced marker I could. Sometimes I actually hated playing on weekends, because it was time I could have been using to work. When I went home I was constantly reading up on all the latest gear, constantly gaining knowledge of everything I could. I gained knowledge from the people around me and from the experience I received reffing. I gave 100% all the time, and it paid off. Because I had researched products, read rules and gained all the knowledge I had, I earned a spot working in the ProShop.

I kept giving 100%. Every month or so we had new reffs that were taking the same path I did. I did my best to try and pass on all the information and knowledge I had.

I was lucky to get that opportunity, and I am thankful I did.

I wish all the other players had that determination, and I’m making it my job to try and give them that determination. I also made it my job to try and change the notion that the "new school" is a bunch of lazy, trend following, zombies that don't care.

1 comment:

TampaBrock said...

This is the sad reality, but the only way for the new kids to learn is for us to teach them.

-TB