Monday, May 11, 2009

The National League... (of paintball). MAO part 2

After the Fierce match was the match against yet another Florida team, CFP. The match didn't start well for us, they went up 3-0 off the bat, but after a time out and some good coaching we were able to pull out 4 unanswered points, winning the match 4-3 in overtime. I was able to play the last 4 points, and I hung the overtime flag to win the match. The funny part was, I (being in my first national tournament and not having a full and complete memory of the rules) stood at the dead box waiting to hang the flag for 2 minutes until I realized that all OT games are sudden death. I had a good laugh about it later, but I looked stupid for about 2 minutes.



For the rest of Thursday I spent my time watching the pro games and watching my buddies from Total Karnage play.



Thursday night was pretty calm from all the stories you hear from the event, I was tired and just got some food and hit the hay for the night.



Friday, last day of D3 prelims. Our first match was against Adrenaline. We watched them play the day before and pretty much came into the game with high spirits. Tim decided to have me play center for the game, my job was to hold down the snake side until I found an opening to go up to the "Florida" or center medium dorito and do damage, then work my way up to the X. I played every point that game and we ended up winning 4-1. It was a fun game, and I was able to shine, stay alive and get some kills.



Moving on to the final game in prelims we were to play Misfit Toys Killerz, a team which we underestimated. They went 3-0 in games before us, and we were thirsty to give them their first loss. But we couldn't hold, after a tough battle, and 2 times being the last player alive, we became the 4th victim, losing 2-4. Again I was able to play every point and was quite pleased with my playing performance. I felt that I earned a spot on the first line and was able to prove that I wasn't only able to survive at that level, but thrive. I was able to make my bunkers, stay in my bunker and happen to shoot some people and hang a flag every once and a while.

Our bid to move on to play on Saturday was cut short, we missed it by 2 spots. But just because the competitive side of the event was done for us, didn't mean the event was over.

We still had the Semi-Pro team, RNT All-Starz in the running to win the Semi-Pro division. Now, you may ask "What does that matter? You're not playing on that team, why should you care?"

My answer is simple; because I'm part of the team, I'm a team player. Not just on the D3 Race to 4, but the larger team, the full Speed, RNT All Starz team.

Team player, not just an individual on a team.

No comments: